Translate

Thursday, July 5, 2012

More than fireworks...

Yesterday, as any decent independence-loving American knows, was the 4th of July. The birth of our proud country. I am proud to be an American but more than that I a proud to be a daughter of God the Father. Yesterday was a weird day to out of the country, knowing that all of my friends and family are celebrating the 4th of July in grand fashion. With truly American food, swimming, hiking, camping and of course fireworks. Even Colorado, despite massive wildfires, managed to have a couple of firework shows.

I was fortunate enough to go to a party with some other American missionaries here in Pachuca. For a moment I forgot I was in Mexico! Everyone went all out with burgers, hot dogs, doritos (which are hard to find here) and even homemade ice cream sandwiches! It was amazing.

Iris (right), servant-hearted and sacrificial
She is always there when I need her.
However I was struck by this one fact. These people are not my family. It is also difficult to be away from family on holidays, especially when, like my family, you have all kinds of traditions tied to the holiday. But I was truly blessed by God because although those people are not my family, I still felt at home. At home because I knew that even though, except 2 people everyone there were perfect strangers, I was welcome. I was loved. Not because I deserved it but because I was with my eternal family. I might never see them again, but we are part of God's eternal family all the same.



Is that not true hospitality? True fellowship? Such a love for God's people that strangers are like sisters.

I remember what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 13: 1-3. I know this passage is often used at wedding however I believe this passage is also talking about the body of Christ in a greater context.

"If I speak in tongues of man and angels but have not love, I am a noisy going or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all that I have, and if I deliver my body up to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." (ESV)

My Mexican mama (left) 
Allow me put this into a personal context. If I speak perfect Spanish but don't love the people then I am just gibberish to everyone around me. If I am the smartest, most talented leader around but don't love others then I am good for nothing. If I am the most generous and most sacrificial but don't do any of it out of love for the Body of Christ I have not served anyone, only myself.

The truth is that these people did not extraordinary for me. They invited me over for lunch. Anyone can do that. However they welcomed me, loved me and in a brief moment made me part of their spiritual family. Truly, the body of Christ is not made of rich, famous, and talented. It is comprised of ordinary people who allow our all-powerful Father to turn our common actions in extraordinary ones. It is the Holy Spirit, who works in each of us, who teaches us to appreciate the full generosity of ordinary actions.

Some of my Mexican sisters!
We enjoy the big show and the bright lights and there is a place for that. However we often fail to recognize to love, care, and genuine hospitality of ordinary people in ordinary life.

This 4th of July was about independence but not American independence like it usually is. It was about the independence and liberty we have in Christ to love in an ordinary way which the Holy Spirit transforms into something extraordinary.

I am so thankful for the people here, American and Mexican who have made me part of their family. People who love me beyond measure and without reservations. Without production and without fireworks. They draw no attention to themselves with their acts of love because they do not serve for their own gain. They serve for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment