Translate

Friday, May 25, 2012

And then they asked me about politics...

I wanted to post about this last night but time got away from me and I felt I couldn't do this particular experience with sufficient sleep.

Last night I went with a young woman named Rebecca to a fiesta to celebrate the end of the school year for the college students.  Rebecca is graduated from college and works with InterVarsity now.  She helps raise up potential student leaders and helps them start Bible studies at their universities here in Pachuca.  There are several large universities here in Pachuca therefore lots of opportunities to minister to college students.  We met at the church and about 15 students came.  Several are students who lead Bible studies at their universities and are really strong in their Christian faith.

We played some ice breaker games which was an entirely hilarious experience for me.  Most of the time I couldn't even understand the point of the game but again that is what laughter is for.  One game involved repeating and chanting certain phrases according to the pace of the clapping and of course there were movements and dances to go with it.  I could do the motions and the dancing but when it came to repeating the phrases I had no clue.  So I didn't repeat it.  Naturally, someone noticed and asked me why I wasn't singing and then I had to explain that I had absolutely NO clue what they were saying.  Then they asked me to say what I thought I heard.  I don't think I said anything offensive but it's hard to tell because they just laughed at me.

After the ice breakers and a short promotional video from InterVarsity we had a political discussion.  Mexico is having their presidential elections July 3.  Each president serves one 6 year term.  From what I understood of the discussion last night, elections are always heated and the youth of Mexico are not happy with the current government.  We began by writing what the word "politics" meant for each person and even I, being a bit of a pessimist when it come to politics in the U.S., can honestly say the hostility and disatisfaction that many Mexican students have towards their government is astounding.  Their hurt and complaints run deep, many of them having experienced first-hand, the horrible effects of a sometimes negligent government. I don't want to be some kind of expert on Mexican politics. I am not.  I merely observed that these students are looking for change, for hope, for anything.

The Mexican flag at the center of the Zócalo

However the best part of the discussion was when a lovely student named Lucero, came and shared her thoughts.  She shared from Romans 13 and pointed out that ultimately God has control over the rulers of this world.  We cannot have our faith in the broken, fallen men of this world but rather in our Lord, Christ. Despite the corruption, disappointment and sometimes anguish caused but worldly governments, God does not change.  He will for ours lives does not change.  We are still to be light, no matter how dark.  Loving despite the hate.  Generous despite the greed.

It was a humbling, and eye-opening experience for me.  The pain is real, the desire for change is almost tangible and youth are hungry for more.  My prayer of course is that they would not look to the government to fix their problems and satisfy their needs but instead to the Lord who fulfills us despite the circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment