Translate

Friday, May 25, 2012

Coloring=Cross Cultural ministry

If I wasn't in truly immersed in Mexican culture yet, I'd say I arrived today.

Last night I had the opportunity to "help" with the kids.  I really didn't do much helping, I mainly just watched and tried to understand what all of the little kids were yelling.  A lovely young woman named Aní taught the kids class while one of the missionaries, Angélica, led a Bible study for the women of the church.  We played ninjas, which is evidently a game that every culture loves.  I also discovered that any child, no matter the age or country loves to color.

Coloring: no better way to connect with children of a different culture

Abi and Camila showing off their coloring pages

      This afternoon I was invited to Mark and Angelica's house for lunch.  They had their neighbors Mari, Monse, and Ani over lunch.  Mari, Monse  and Ani's mother, prepared lunch. A really Mexican lunch.  There was coca-cola and arroz (rice) followed by an unidentified soup made from a spicy red broth, vegetables and chicken.  Ordinarily, I am the kind of person who has to know exactly what I'm eating, otherwise I won't touch it.  If you can't tell me what animal the meat is made from then I am not likely  to bring it anywhere near my mouth.  This has not been my policy with my Mexican friends.  If they tell me something is rica (tasty) then I plan on trying it.  So far nothing too weird has crossed my path but then again, this is only day 4.  

    Mari an incredibly vivacious woman who clearly derives her joy from serving others and of course, hugs.  Lots and lots of hugs.  Unfortunately, she did not realize that I am no fluent speaker.  She began asking me questions at a mile a minute only to receive what must have been the blankest stare in the whole world.  Then her daughters said "Mama, necesitas hablar muy lento" (Mom, you need to speak really slowly).  To which she responded "You mean now I can't talk!"  Thankfully, laughter is the one language that everyone speaks and every time there were an awkward moment of misunderstanding everyone at the table was more than forgiving.  

     After lunch, I returned home (the Bakers house) and after only being home a few minutes one of the neighbors came over to personally invite me to their daughters birthday party.  It is part of Mexican custom to hand deliver invitation and the couple wanted me to feel like I was invited rather than just tagging along with the Baker family.  It was an humbling and kind gesture and everyday I am reminded of how warm and welcoming the people of Mexico are.  

     God is blessing me so much with wonderful people and the beginning of beautiful relationships! Thank you for your prayers!


No comments:

Post a Comment