Translate

Monday, June 4, 2012

Mangoes in the market vs. Mangoes on the street

The past few days have been a chaotic whirlwind of activity, fun and joy.

Thursday I took a walk. Simple, right?  Except it was like my eyes couldn't see everything fast enough.  So many colors, sights, people, and smells...don't even get me started on the smells.

Houses, literally built into the mountainside
Here is what you have to understand about Pachuca, it's a weird place. It is a "quiet" city (compared with Mexico City) and sits sprawled out in the shadow of the mountain.  But as the city keeps growing the poor continue to build up the hills.  In this town it seems like the better your view the poorer you are.

The highways take you around the other side where you suddenly realize that in initial view of Pachuca was only about half of what actually exists.  It's like a second Pachuca suddenly grew right out of the ground on the other side of the mountains.
Look at all of those houses!



Just a typical "convenience store

My first "solo" purchase


















Friday: My first Mexican sleepover.  Here is what I learned:
1) All girls, from any country eat lots of food when they are together

2) In any country, it is embarrassing to go to the store in your pajamas.

3) Mango is a slang term for a really really good looking man. And several of the girls in the youth group are determine to help me find one.

4) Never believe a Mexican when they tell you something isn't spicy, it probably is.

We had a sleepover for Rebecca's birthday so there was cake and food and more food and even more food. We also made flowers or Iris and Alejandro's wedding.

Aní and Angélica making flowers
Monse and here mom Mari
The lovely birthday girl
    Saturday:
English classes.  We had more students this week which was really exciting and even some of the same students from last year as well! After classes were finished we began decorating and preparing the Church for the wedding! Let's just say that no one was in charge and yet everyone was in charge.  It was madness for a while but finally the church was finished and then I went with Jonathan to pick up the flowers.
'
So much fresh food! I love it!
There is no such thing a florist shop, we went to the market. I imagine it was really quiet because it was about 3 in the afternoon and most people are eating lunch then.  In case you didn't know, I have an undying love for markets. I can't really explain it but there is something fascinating and invigorating about being in a market.  It's like being in a beehive, all of the activity, the rushing, the bartering, the variety and best of all, unlike a beehive nothing is trying to sting you. 

Liches:  my favorite fruit here



















After the market adventure which also included advertising for English classes, I returned home. Jonathan had managed to get a  hold of a violin for me so I could play for Iris and Alejandro's wedding. So I spent most of the rest of the night practicing for a wedding! I never imagined that I would be playing for a wedding in Mexico! 

Several days filled with fun and adventure! I´m so blessed!

Thank you again for your continued prayers.  




No comments:

Post a Comment